Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Bucket List

  We all have one but it took the 2007 Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman film The Bucket List to give an identifying moniker to the list of things we dream of doing before we die or "kick the bucket." The film also did one other thing that I feel is important - it depicted the characters actually writing down their lists not just saying what is on their list. Everyone should have a Bucket List and have it written down and placed somewhere that it is easy to access from time to time. One thing I've learned about a Bucket List over the years is that quite often some things on it will change or seem more or less important. Sometimes things will drop off your list and sometimes you'll add to it. The point of a Bucket List isn't so much to do things as it is to dream about doing them. Don't get me wrong, I think it is important to actually DO the things on your Bucket List but I think it is also very important to keep yourself mentally young by always dreaming about doing the things on the list.
Ice Diving in Antarctica
  So, that being said, here are the dreams that make up my Bucket List.
  1. SCUBA dive the Great Blue Hole off the coast of Belize.
  2. Travel to Antarctica and do an ice dive.
  3. Travel to Europe and visit The Volkswagen plant and museum in Germany, the Louvre in Paris and kiss a beautiful woman at the top of the Eiffel Tower, take a canal ride Venice and tour Rome, visit the Normandy coast where the allies came ashore on D-Day, tour Athens, Greece.
  4. Sail around the world.
  5. Fly in an open cockpit vintage bi-plane and actually take the controls for a bit myself.
  6. Drive a Model T Ford.
  7. Get cast as an extra in a Hollywood blockbuster.
  8. Ride a motorcycle the entire length of Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles.
  9. Fly an ultralight aircraft.
  10. Talk about diving, the oceans, and shipwrecks over cigars and tequila with my favorite living author Clive Cussler.
  Obviously some of my dreams are attainable and some I'll have to really work at. Mine aren't in any particular order and I've left a few off that are too personal to share in this forum but I'd be willing to bet you have some interesting ones on your list as well so take a moment and share them with me.

No comments: