Thursday, November 15, 2018

Guard Your Tongue

  When I used to smoke I enjoyed it and didn’t think much about it... until I stopped. After not smoking for a while I would watch other people smoke and it just looks so stupid and unnatural.
   There was a time in my life I cussed fairly regularly. Then I stopped. Now when I hear people cuss (especially when they say the f-word) I cant help but realize just how juvenile it sounds. I mean it’s almost like everyone who cussed is determined to out cuss everyone else. This was hammered home to me a few years ago when I went to a rock festival in Charlotte, NC. (And subsequently to many live music performances locally). When I made that observation I realized it IS juvenile! It’s like a bunch of kids at the playground during recess trying to out cuss each other when the teacher isn’t listening. In reality though the teacher is ALWAYS listening! He hears everything!
   There was a time when if you were out to eat nobody would use foul language, even if a person did cuss he respected that others in the restaurant didn’t want to hear it and they also didn’t cuss because they respected the possibility that kids might be in the restaurant and they didn’t need to hear it.
   Fast forward to 2018 and people have become so desensitized to vulgar language that they have lost all consideration of others and think nothing of cussing in public, be it a restaurant, a store or someone else’s home. It’s time we got back to decency in our society and our language is a great place for each individual to start. Each individual is responsible for the words that come out of their mouth. Once something is said it cannot be unheard. Everyone should guard the words they utter for their words reflect their soul and if your soul is darkened by foul language then your soul will be lost. Sound like a bold statement? Possibly it is, but then the Bible IS a bold book, for James 3:16 and James 1:26 tell us a person who uses foul language has a worthless religion and it follows that if their religion is worthless they will not see heaven.
   If you've read any of my past blog posts you will see this topic is one I have written about several times. I suppose you could say it is an issue I champion. The morality of our society is in shambles today and I firmly believe of the many things we need to do to fix our society, cleaning up our language is something each and every one of us has the ability AND the responsibility to do. I hope you as an adult reading this post will remove yourself from the playground and be an actual responsible adult by guarding and protecting your language.

No comments: